Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ranting Outside of Facebook


A Way of Keeping My Page Publicly Tolerable for My Mother


Generation X joined social media sometime back in 2009.  Millennial's at work told us about it's existence, and the first year connecting and finding lost friends was amazing.  It's funny how once some of the middle aged took over Facebook, the youth migrated to the 'cooler' Instagram, which still frightens and confuses me.  The stuff my daughter's friends post is unbelievable.

Same goes for my wonderful Mother and my Facebook page.  She is proud of my writing, but often shivers at its content.  I completely understand as there are extended relatives and those who perhaps do not share my enthusiasm for the unregulated exchange of ideas.  And I think swear words add appropriate exclamation illustrations to the pathos of a statement.  

It is interesting how on-line rules of etiquette are still undefined.  It is hard to consider all sensitivities of all viewers when posting.  And it amazes me when the some generic hallmark pre-created post or article is set publicly, some are often completely surprised at the push back.   Luckily we are allowed to filter and turn the station having the ability to un-friend, un-follow, block, hide, and basically excommunicate those that simply piss us off.

So in consideration of my Mother, career liability regarding on-line exposure, and maybe an additional outlet for the wheels that spin in my head, I started this blog.  I'll probably be its biggest fan, but hope some will view, comment, debate, win, and concede.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment