Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hello Dave? Dave....Hello? Hello...Dave??


Bringing Twang to Chicago

During the summer of 1991 I met Mike Himebaugh through some mutual friends, and his sister Kris.  The bass player and drummer had left the Eastern Illinois Campus and Mike let me fill in for about a dozen shows, playing bass, but eventually letting me sing a few songs.  So my Jr. High guitar lessons payed off, and for two months I lived my rock-n-roll fantasy, and ended up meeting my wife Trish.  

First night I only knew six songs on bass so I hit the band perk free beer a little too hard, ripping sixteenth notes on the tambourine in between; for which I received a few "take it easy" eye-rolls from Mike.    

Mike can sing like John Denver, and our goof-ball friend Frank Girage (rip), was a talented guitarist with an outrageous sense of humor.   They named the band Hello Dave, because I guess Frank would just say "hello...dave???  dave....hello??" during microphone sound checks.  

Mike has stayed true to his calling, still playing music, and now living his life the farm way, after leaving the city a few years ago.  He tours and plays shows by himself or with the band.  Good stuff.  Great live show.  Find him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment